Fertility Treatment with sperm donation in Austria
Depending on the existing situation (e.g. sperm analysis), the specialist doctor recommends treatment with donated sperm, e.g. for in-vitro-fertilization (IVF) - fertilization of the oocyte with sperm in a test tube. Austrian law permits the introduction of donated sperm into the egg by means of the ICSI procedure (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection).
In Austria, sperm donation can also be used in the treatment of lesbian couples wishing for a child, provided that the couple lives in a domestic partnership or registered partnership.
Both cases require a notarial deed.
→ see also: "Changes in the Law on Reproductive Medicin - New Treatment Options in Austria"
What sperm donors and recipients need to know:
- A sperm donor must have completed the age of 18.
- The sperm donor may donate his sperm only via ONE medical clinic.
- Per donor, sperm may be provided for a maximum of three successful treatments with the birth of (a) child/children.
- The identification/allocation of a suitable donor is carried out by the fertility center.
- There is anonymity between the donor and the recipient. The donor and the couple seeking treatment have no access to each other's data.
- Having completed the age of 14, the donor-conceived child is entitled to information about the donor. The fertility center where the treatment has been carried out has the obligation to disclose the relevant information.
At the IVF Centers Prof. Zech-Bregenz and Salzburg, the selection criteria for donors include inter alia the following requirements::
- Health assessment by clinicians and geneticists
- Serological testing (Anti-HIV-1,2, HBsAG, Anti-HBc, Anti-HCV-Ab, Lues, Rubella, Chlamydia)
- Karyotype (chromosomes)
- Exclusion of cystic fibrosis (mucoviscidosis)
We can help you!
A pleasant atmosphere, empathy, medical knowledge and expertise are especially important when it comes to fulfilling your desire to have children. We hope that our "striving for excellence" will also gain your trust, and we are looking forward to welcome you in Salzburg.